Welcome!

I am not an expert, this advice is intended to be helpful and humorous, with flashes of wit. Please know this is a futile attempt at getting the world to do things the way I see fit.

If you need advice on any topic, I'm happy to help you by either giving my own recommendations, or seeking out recommendations from others, then claiming them as my own. If you have no sense of humor, please do not read this blog.

How it works...please post a question in the comments section of the blog (or send me an email if you'd like more anonymity). I'll post it with my advice. Take the advice, leave the advice, but don't let me tell you
"I told you so!"

Monday, July 19, 2010

Q: My girlfriend has started buying me clothes that others feel are too stylish for me. I do have a style of my own, and don't know exactly what that is, but I feel that it is comfortable and up to date. All the clothes that my friends or my girlfriend buy me I absolutely love. I have no problem with change or trying to look better. I feel that I am always appropriately dressed. How do I remedy the situation?

A: Style is nothing if not personal. Your friends are probably just extremely jealous that you have stylish new clothes and that you got them for FREE!!!! The fashions we wear are the most obvious indicators of our moods, our interests, and of course our personalities. Personal style is PERSONAL. So if you are starting to wear clothing that is more "current" and you do actually love it, that would lead me to believe that it fits into your personal style. I'm a fan of changing things up; particularly when you already know you like the changes. So embrace the new clothes, and let your friends know how much you like them. Continue to wear the new clothes that your friends think are too stylish and remark on how great you feel in them. If they still give you flack, tell your friends that you are friends with them in spite of their clothing choices and that they should extend the same courtesy to you. HA!!! Nothing quiets criticism like a good, old fashioned insult! Okay, scratch the insult part, but I think asking them kindly to respect your personal style should be effective. If it isn't, tell them that your only other option is nudity, and hopefully they'll appreciate the clothed, too-stylish-you more than the creepy you in your birthday suit.


No comments:

Post a Comment