Welcome!

I am not an expert, this advice is intended to be helpful and humorous, with flashes of wit. Please know this is a futile attempt at getting the world to do things the way I see fit.

If you need advice on any topic, I'm happy to help you by either giving my own recommendations, or seeking out recommendations from others, then claiming them as my own. If you have no sense of humor, please do not read this blog.

How it works...please post a question in the comments section of the blog (or send me an email if you'd like more anonymity). I'll post it with my advice. Take the advice, leave the advice, but don't let me tell you
"I told you so!"

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The 30 day wait

This Sunday, my husband and I had the opportunity to have dinner with two couples, one couple was in town for a visit, so we were all able to find a time to break bread together. One of the wives was sharing her strategy for big life decisions, which I thought was pretty great.

Whenever thinking about getting something big that you think you REALLY want, you need to want it for 30 days straight.

Obviously, this strategy doesn't apply to buying a frozen yogurt, but it could be a good one to use when considering whether or not you should open a frozen yogurt shop. This idea of "wanting" for a sustained period of time, would also play into the idea that what you think about manifests itself, so you could be helping yourself towards your goal just by thinking about it for 30 days before actually going for it.

Here are a few other situations where the 30 day wait might be usefully employed:

*Getting a pet
*Changing jobs
*Buying a house
*Having plastic surgery
*Getting a tattoo
*Having sex with a new partner
*Moving
*Going back to school
*Quitting school
*Starting smoking
*Purchasing anything that you will have to save for or pay off later
*Having a baby

I realize that in certain of the situations listed above, thinking about wanting something may simply make you want it more, but I dare you to "want" whatever your something is with as much of a realistic, whole, picture as possible. For example; buying a new car would be wonderful, but consider the financial sacrifices you'll have to make to pay for it.

We are all able to access things at a tremendous pace. I can order a movie from home, shop online, get my dry cleaning picked up and delivered within a miraculously short window. I can download pictures, music, send a text to make a plan - almost instantly. But when making decisions that will cause a more lasting affect on your life, maybe trying out the 30 day wait could be a good idea. If nothing else, it will allow you to invest a little more in your decision, hopefully making you feel better about it in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment