Welcome!

I am not an expert, this advice is intended to be helpful and humorous, with flashes of wit. Please know this is a futile attempt at getting the world to do things the way I see fit.

If you need advice on any topic, I'm happy to help you by either giving my own recommendations, or seeking out recommendations from others, then claiming them as my own. If you have no sense of humor, please do not read this blog.

How it works...please post a question in the comments section of the blog (or send me an email if you'd like more anonymity). I'll post it with my advice. Take the advice, leave the advice, but don't let me tell you
"I told you so!"

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The P Word

"If he pees, just come and get me." Another phrase added to the list of "Things I Never Thought I'd Say"

I know, I hate to add to the litany of rants that have been written about potty training BUT, I just have to. Potty training has kind of taken over my life. I like to think of it as one of motherhood's "Dirty Little Secrets".

My pediatrician - a man with TONS of education, but who has no actual children of his own - advised me on potty training before I was ready. At the 18 month checkup for my child, he instructed me to start potty training. He said I should start "introducing" my child to the potty. Insert humorous visuals of a toddler shaking hands with a toilet here. I was told to take a dirty diaper off of my child, deposit its contents into the toilet, and start to get my child accustomed to the process. GROSS. I seriously thought he was joking. He wasn't.

So, rather than take the well meaning doctor's advice, I WAITED. I'm now being dragged into potty training well after I should have started doing it, with many additional experts involved in the process. Whoops! Guess my "common sense" approach to potty training is catching up with me now. With much of parenting, I just think you HAVE to laugh. I now have two toddlers who want or need to be potty trained so I spend a LOT of time in the vicinity of the toilet. I am told that in 10 years they will dress themselves and use the bathroom on their own, I just have such a difficult time trying to know that in my heart.

Though I do feel most times that potty training is the bane of my existence, I also recognize it as an opportunity for face time with the kids. Whether they like it or not, we're spending a LOT of time one on one throughout the day together. And, my bathroom is very well organized now, so, there's that.

Wish me luck, I'm off to the potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment