Welcome!

I am not an expert, this advice is intended to be helpful and humorous, with flashes of wit. Please know this is a futile attempt at getting the world to do things the way I see fit.

If you need advice on any topic, I'm happy to help you by either giving my own recommendations, or seeking out recommendations from others, then claiming them as my own. If you have no sense of humor, please do not read this blog.

How it works...please post a question in the comments section of the blog (or send me an email if you'd like more anonymity). I'll post it with my advice. Take the advice, leave the advice, but don't let me tell you
"I told you so!"

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

How do you Lead?

image source: http://www.afs.org/blog/icl/?p=2824  
How do you lead?

By example?
By cajoling?
Haphazardly?  Accidentally?  
Do you shake off leadership like a person trying to run from a stray dog in Mexico?  Are your hands up and out in front of you waving in counter motion while your face reflects a sucked lemon expression?  Do you prefer to be led?  Are you hopelessly, obsessively, IN CHARGE of everything?  If so - are you unable to hear the pleas of those around you begging to be heard?

I've had plenty of bouts with leadership, and I readily admit that I've been all of these leaders.  I've been the person IN CHARGE when no one else wanted to be.  I've been the leader because of my qualifications -both real and perceived- and I've also been the leader as a result of the power combo: a habitual controlling nature and a pursuit of doing a million tasks at one time while juggling crystal vases.   
  
My favorite way to lead is by building consensus.  It is completely within my comfort zone and works well with the way I like to deal with people, but of course is tremendously flawed in certain situations.  Great for leading a girls night out, terrible in crisis.  I don't mind being in charge, and I'm sure my husband would gladly inform you of the ways in which I'm a bit of a power-monger. However, leading by consensus typically works well for me because it allows the opportunity for a group to participate in the decision-making process, which often times leads to greater engagement in the outcome.  

Leadership is important, and it is unique.  So, who are some of your favorite leaders?  What do they do well?  What can you emulate?  Because whether you are an active or a passive participant, you're leading in your own way.  Are you doing it with intention?  In what ways are you a terrific leader and in what ways could you improve?    

Are you a Rosa Parks?  A Jane Adams?  A Martha Stewart?  These are three of the names on the list of "The 25 Most Powerful Women in the Last Century"by Time Magazine. Take a look and find some inspiration by clicking on this link:  http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2029774_2029776,00.html

Or, take your research a little closer to home.  Whatever you decide to do, whether it be to lead or to joyfully participate, think about it a little bit.  Then get back to juggling your vases. 


No comments:

Post a Comment