Welcome!

I am not an expert, this advice is intended to be helpful and humorous, with flashes of wit. Please know this is a futile attempt at getting the world to do things the way I see fit.

If you need advice on any topic, I'm happy to help you by either giving my own recommendations, or seeking out recommendations from others, then claiming them as my own. If you have no sense of humor, please do not read this blog.

How it works...please post a question in the comments section of the blog (or send me an email if you'd like more anonymity). I'll post it with my advice. Take the advice, leave the advice, but don't let me tell you
"I told you so!"

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Giving Thanks

I love Thanksgiving. I love the food. I love the idea that we are supposed to spend a day feeling thankful for all of our blessings. Unfortunately, I have had a few holiday mis-steps over the years. In light of these, I'd like to give some advice on for your consideration over the Thanksgiving holiday:

BAD IDEAS:
1. Spend the time with your family completely wrapped up in your own insecurities so that you have no ability to ask them how they are doing.

2. Over-indulge in spirits the night before Thanksgiving so that you feel completely terrible until about 5pm Thanksgiving day.

3. Do not help with the meal, the dishes, ANYTHING at all. Then complain about the food and the surroundings.

4. Talk about how you would be more thankful if you were at a better Thanksgiving celebration.

5. Disagree. With everything anyone says.

GOOD
IDEAS:

1. Try and have at least 3 really good conversations throughout the day.

2. Help the hostess (if you are the hostess, help yourself and delegate!).

3. Think of one thing you like about each of the guests you're sharing your celebration with.

4. Consider where you've been in years past and ponder how you have grown or how your life has changed for the better over the past year.

5. Give hugs. Give smiles. Be charitable and kind.

I look back on so many of the family holidays we had when I was younger, and I regret not being totally "present" for them. My grandparents have passed on, and especially this year, I realize that as life goes on, the holidays - and who we celebrate them with - continue to change. I'm so thankful for the holidays I get to share now, but a part of me regrets not enjoying the holidays I got to spend with my aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins to the fullest. Many of us are married, have children of our own, and are evolving into our own family traditions. A thought to remember - no matter who you spend your holiday with, you likely won't get to - or have to - celebrate with them forever. So try take time and be grateful for the time you have together - or, for the fact that it won't be forever!!

No comments:

Post a Comment