Welcome!

I am not an expert, this advice is intended to be helpful and humorous, with flashes of wit. Please know this is a futile attempt at getting the world to do things the way I see fit.

If you need advice on any topic, I'm happy to help you by either giving my own recommendations, or seeking out recommendations from others, then claiming them as my own. If you have no sense of humor, please do not read this blog.

How it works...please post a question in the comments section of the blog (or send me an email if you'd like more anonymity). I'll post it with my advice. Take the advice, leave the advice, but don't let me tell you
"I told you so!"

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bored on the Road

Emily-I am traveling for work this week, and need some advice on keeping myself entertained after work/evening, but staying tip top for work the next day, which rolls around really early. I'll be in Texas through Friday July 2nd---my hotel gym is not so good, and it is raining outside.

Dear Sean,
Traveling is definitely a source of life’s great adventures. However, business traveling can often take you to a place where you would not necessarily go by choice. The beauty of this type of situation is that it offers you the opportunity to learn about a new place, and expose yourself to things that may be outside of your core interests. Wherever you are, you have to assume that there are new things there for you to explore that you don’t have at home. To find out what a new place is all about, ask around (your hotel concierge can be a good start) or try and find the city’s chamber of commerce website for insight into the culture of where you are. Another way to find the pulse of your destination could be to read the arts and entertainment section of the local paper. Maybe you have always wondered about whether or not you’d like contemporary art, and their local museum is featuring a noteworthy installment. Not into art? Try and find out a little history of where you are, and cruise by the local historical digs. You may not be into string on a daily basis, but if you’re in the city that is home to the biggest ball of string - THAT could certainly be worth a stop and the purchase of a commemorative magnet. Wherever you are, there is going to be a “best” of something. Try to find it. Maybe you can find the best view in the city, the best cup of coffee, or the best public art. If all else fails, try and use this time to do a few of the things you have been putting off. Perhaps you’ll be able to write that romantic ode to your wife you really wanted to compose….

No comments:

Post a Comment